Picture Postcard Wednesday- Decaying Atlantic City Pier

16 Mar

March 16, 2011- midday

If you walk to the end of the Atlantic City Pier, past the casinos and the Steel Pier, you find the rotting remains of this pier, overgrown with weeds and lurching out into the surf like an accusing, boney finger. I took this in 2009, on a day when an Atlantic hurricane was churning the waves.

Despite the waves I walked below the pier on the dry sand below. It was still not high tide (I can only imagine the surf then)  and there was enough dry sand to keep my feet from getting wet. As I walked underneath the experience of the surf crashing in and causing great echoes all around was very surreal.

I walked out on the pier as far as I could. There was a visitor center at the head of the pier. It was closed and the gates were shut but not locked so I slipped in and walked out until I found a fountain, pictured below. Beyond the fountain were some ancient rusted gates that were securely locked. That was as far as I could go. When I walked back I found that the gates I entered through were now chained, but the chain was loose enough to let me slip out.

7 Responses to “Picture Postcard Wednesday- Decaying Atlantic City Pier”

1. JRD Skinner March 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

The fountain shots are especially fantastic. The scene reminds me of the gates to a Hollywood studio during the golden age.

• bmj2k March 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Thanks. More water tomorrow as I go close to home with the Boat Graveyard of Staten Island, and we finish the week with a single photo from San Diego on Friday. Picture Postcard may take the next week off while I sort through some pics, but I think I may pull out some abandoned building and insane asylum pics next.

2. The Hook March 18, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Great post! My father-in-law spent a lot of time there in his younger days. He’d be saddened by its current state. Thanks for sharing.

• bmj2k March 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

AC spends a ton of money on the casino area and pretty much only the casino area. This is just a few minutes down the boardwalk past the casino area but a new hotel is going up there. If you imagine me facing the fountain and taking that picture, the new hotel is going up behind me and slightly to my left so maybe this will be fixed- or more likely torn down.

3. C. August 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

This is (or was) Garden Pier, home of the Atlantic City Historical Museum. Closed in 2009 due to structural problems, reopened, then was battered by Superstorm Sandy and is currently closed again, pending repairs.

• bmj2k August 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Thanks for the info!

• C, August 5, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

You’re welcome! My family used to visit Atlantic City in the 60s and 70s, before the coming of the casinos. Garden Pier was always the “cultural” pier. They used to hold open-air concerts at the end of the pier (which looks like it has been left to rot). I’m saddened to see the place in such a condition.