HAPPY BLOGSGIVING! (Classic Turkey Repost)

21 Nov

November 21st, 2012

Today is the biggest travel days of the year, and therefore one of the lowest days of blog traffic. I’m taking a mini-break today and tomorrow with a pair of very Classic Reposts. In fact, this one goes all the way back to my old MySpace days. Ah, yes, the cynical MySpace era, where I blogged once a week or, if I got crazy, as much as three times a week. But I also had a much smaller audience and when I moved to WordPress I dumped all my old blogs here in one lump so the odds are pretty good that almost no one reading this blog has ever read this post. So is it new? As NBC annoyingly said a few years ago, “if you haven’t seen it, it is new to you.”

from November 23, 2007

HAPPY BLOGSGIVING!

Ah, the holidays. Thanksgiving is the official kick-off the Holiday Season. As off 7:01 pm on Thanksgiving night it is now Christmas.

That’s right, it is now Christmas. As I write this on Friday, November 23, 2007, it is Christmas. Christmas music on the radio, Christmas decorations on the Avenue, Christmas sales in the stores, and lots of tools sleeping in tents to beat the crowds and get the sales.

Yesterday, Thanksgiving, at 4:21 pm. I saw a line of young teenage tools lined up outside of Best Buy. The line was a good 150 deep. And the store wouldn’t open for another 12 ½ hours! They had chairs, tents, and barbeques. Everything except toilet facilities. But they didn’t have any at Woodstock either and that worked out just fine. Everyone knows how clean and orderly Woodstock was.

Holidays are a time for family and friends. I hate family and friends! OK, so hate is a harsh word. So are loathe and despise.

But the holidays get you away from work, which is always nice. Except when you take work home with you, which is always bad. I took work home over this break. No, actually, I didn’t. I didn’t need to take the work home because the DAMN WORK IS ONLINE, MEANING THAT I CAN’T GET AWAY FROM IT!

But I broke away from the computer long enough to buy some Christmas cards. Really nice ones featuring my hero, The Grinch.

So on this holiday, at this time of love, peace, and goodwill towards men, I’ll leave you all with my message of love and understanding:………………………….., um as soon as I have one I’ll let you know.

12 Responses to “HAPPY BLOGSGIVING! (Classic Turkey Repost)”

1. T E Stazyk November 21, 2012 at 12:08 am #

Happy Thanksgiving!

• bmj2k November 21, 2012 at 12:19 am #

Thanks! And a Happy Down Under to you!

• T E Stazyk November 21, 2012 at 12:22 am #

Thanks–when I first came down we would have a faux Thanksgiving (really hard to find turkey down here) and I always thought it was the last Thursday in November. Then someone told me we’d been getting it wrong in the years that have 5 Thursdays.

• bmj2k November 21, 2012 at 12:34 am #

Huh, I never thought about that.

2. ssrijana November 21, 2012 at 12:14 am #

happy holidays ..our’s is just over and campus starts from tomorrow 6;30 sharp so i have to get up at 4 am and travel 😦

• bmj2k November 21, 2012 at 12:19 am #

Wow, best of luck with that schedule.

• ssrijana November 21, 2012 at 12:22 am #

hehehe i dont go everyday just 1ce a week my father has to drive me there i dont know how to drive 🙂

3. zathra November 21, 2012 at 12:21 am #

That’s not unusual. As soon as they yank the Halloween candy & bric – a – brac out of the stores ( & store windows ) they start pushing the Christmas stuff in. That would account for a Christmas tree with tiny witches & jack o’lanterns I saw once. Maybe I exaggerate, maybe not. 😉 & then, no sooner is Christmas over than they put Valentine’s Day displays up. Even in a relatively small town like the one where I live now.

• bmj2k November 21, 2012 at 12:34 am #

Much as I love to blame the stores, if people wouldn’t buy that early they wouldn’t offer it that early. If people would rather save $10 on a tv than spend some time with their family, then I can’t blame the store, it is the people I despise.

• zathra November 21, 2012 at 12:40 am #

It is a matter of supply & demand, but the media, advertising & corporations DO push it. A circle, maybe even a vicious one.

• bmj2k November 21, 2012 at 12:47 am #

True, I think they are pretty aggressive, but the market is there. I was asked by my girlfriend to sit with her Thanksgiving night until they opened at 5am and NO WAY would I do it. We actually fought over it but saving a couple of buicks on a alptop isn’t worth staying up all night in the cold waiting for a store to open. And know what? She found a great deal online and the laptop has already been delivered.

But there is a family story from when I was a kid about my Dad at one of these sales. If I get ambitious it’ll appear next week.

• zathra November 21, 2012 at 12:56 am #

I tend to avoid Black Fridays like I’d avoid anthrax or the flesh – eating virus or a nice case of leprosy. Don’t have much to do with ’em. & if a site is secure, I simply buy online.