Picture Postcard Thursday- Staten Island Boat Graveyard

17 Mar

March 17, 2011- midday

You may have heard of this. On Staten Island there is a place where old boats go to die. The inlet is littered with rusty wrecks so thick that at some places you can walk on them.

Google it for more info. It isn’t too easy to get to. On this particular day a friend and I decided to see some S.I. urban decay and of course, as is becoming usual with these stories, we picked the worst possible day. A storm hit that was so severe that parts of Staten Island lost power. Other parts were flooded. During the worst of the storm we were walking around- OK, trespassing in an abandoned insane asylum. I did not make that up. (And for some reason I actually miss her.)

To take the first of these pics we walked into a gravel company yard and after asking for permission, and being told in no uncertain terms to get the Hell out of there, we took a few pictures anyway. Not smart. There were some angry (and wet, it was raining) and very burly men heading our way so I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and valiantly got out of Dodge. The others were taken from an overgrown lot next door.

We never did find the entrance to the graveyard but we made up for it in sheer wet. I was drenched by the end of the day.

6 Responses to “Picture Postcard Thursday- Staten Island Boat Graveyard”

1. Thomas Stazyk March 17, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

Amazing pics–it would be great to see the place in different seasons.

• bmj2k March 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks. Not that you can tell, but those were taken in the height of the summer. If I ever go back I need to find the other end of it, where you can walk up to and onto the boats.

2. Jim March 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

I agree with Thomas, great pics. I’ve enjoyed the sightseeing this week. It makes me realize how long it’s been since I’ve gone anywhere interesting!

• bmj2ke March 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks Jim. You can find a lot of my more recent pics on my Facebook page, including a ton of San Diego (tomorrow we get a single pic from SD) and more from Staten Island, including the asylum I mentioned. A lot of my older trips- Texas, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Florida (Universal + Disney), and London, among others- are traditional pictures and never digitized. Picture Postcard may take a week off while I pick out pics from abandoned places in Staten Island and Massachusetts but I may add one more installment on Saturday for a really nice pic of Chicago taken from the river.

3. elmediat June 12, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

Shots one and three are really dramatic – Great atmosphere and mood. Well, you actually got to suffer for your art without having to cut off an ear. – no telling what those very burly men would have done. When I go on a photo shoot up here there is a small chance I’ll meet a bear or porcupine, bigger chance it will be a retiree with a small dog.

• bmj2k June 12, 2011 at 11:51 pm #