The Problem With Coast To Coast AM and George Noory

30 Jun

June 30, 2016

I make fun of Coast to Coast AM with George Noory a lot. A LOT. In case you don’t know the show, here is their own description:

Coast to Coast AM airs on more than 600 stations in the U.S., as well as Canada, Mexico and Guam, and is heard by nearly three million weekly listeners. With hosts George Noory, George Knapp (weekend), and guest weekend hosts, it is the most listened to overnight radio program in North America. A media phenomenon, Coast to Coast AM deals with UFOs, strange occurrences, life after death, and other unexplained (and often inexplicable) phenomena. Coast to Coast AM is overnight talk radio with daytime ratings.

What that leaves out is that it is not nearly as popular or respected as it was under Art Bell, who created it. It also leaves out that under George Noory the show has become a joke. You’ll see why soon.

Art Bell was a critical questioner and listener. He had as guests experts in major scientific fields as well as those involved in fringe paranormal research. But no matter who he had on, he asked probing and intelligent questions and did not let anyone who made outrageous claims go unchallenged. George is just the opposite. Not only is he himself ill-informed  about most of the topics he addresses, he rarely asks follow up questions and never, ever challenges a guest about anything said. Even callers with ridiculous claims are given a “gosh, wow!” by George. Ghost of Hitler got off a UFO and had a picnic with Bigfoot on your front lawn while you danced with pixies and made sandwiches? “That sounds like some afternoon. Do you think they chose you intentionally or do you live in a UFO hot spot?”

The big issue is that George is totally uncritical and unquestioning. He is open to anything and will never, ever say a negative word about anything or anyone.

I debunked a UFO claim on their Facebook page the other day.

C2C crap

I’m not an expert on UFOs. I’m just a guy with an interest in things who has read some books. Surely the host of Coast to Coast AM with George Noory, a “media phenomemon” who has been delving into the mysteries of the paranormal for 13 years, would be more knowledgeable than me. Surely someone on his staff would do some research on an alleged UFO photo before posting it on their website. Surely they wouldn’t be powned by a noob like me, right?

Nah, that’s giving them too much credit. No one checks anything. No one bothers. They put anything out there no matter how fake or stupid. (And you should really see some of the stupid stuff on their page.) I saw that photo and immediately knew it was fake. I recognized that UFO from one of the most famous pictures in all of UFOlogy. It is lifted from one of the McMinnville, Oregon photos from 1950.

mcminnville01

Not just a similar object, but the same exact photo. Same lighting. Same silhouette. Same everything except that the doctored photo is so badly done it is a lot blurrier. (To be fair, some of that blurriness came when I enlarged it. Go to their page for the original.) I saw their post, recognized the photo, googled “UFO over farm house” and found that picture in under 20 seconds. The giveaway that it is the exact image is the way the light- and possibly the grain of the photo- makes the left top edge of the object appear to be pointed. Look closely in the Facebook post, it’s there too. I didn’t need any computer skills, I used my own two eyes!

And if you think that it looks like something hanging from a wire, that’s the common claim of debunkers.

That picture dates back to 1950. It is over 65 years old and has been reprinted in books all over the world since then, not to mention the internet. But did the “media phenomenon” recognize it? Nope, no one even bothered to look into it for a second.  It took me to discover that it was a doctored picture? Way to go George Noory.

11 Responses to “The Problem With Coast To Coast AM and George Noory”

1. Deborah Scalli January 25, 2017 at 12:20 am #

Was looking up common fake news sites. CTC was one.

Liked by 1 person

2. Aaron Hutchcraft March 25, 2017 at 10:55 pm #

I think(nowadays)george is stepping away from original interest of intrigue and conversation-& towards $ & “marketable”interest….ie…paranormal date.com-hes not as faithful to the show anymore…

Liked by 1 person

3. Manny Perez May 3, 2017 at 3:31 am #

Art Bell delivery of his knowledge and proficiency in what he does best made me hunger intellectually but listening to George Noory insults my intelligence

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k May 3, 2017 at 10:07 pm #

It is insulting, even to the guests. Noory often doesn’t even listen to what they say before moving on to another question, sometimes one the guest answered while Noory wasn’t paying attention.

• BringBackArtBell July 27, 2017 at 6:37 pm #

I agree 100 percent! Get rid of the bum!! C2C has gotten incredibly boring, in addition to becoming one big fat info-mercial for “the Doc” (lmao veterinarian???) and the Carnivora guy.not to mention his aunt Matilda and Beyond Berief.

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k July 27, 2017 at 9:29 pm #

I’ve never given Beyond Belief a shot since it it beyond my belief that people think George has anything interesting to say. But George is never going away because he is a good company man. From what I’ve read online he has less power over the guests and the show in general than most people think. (But that doesn’t change how bad he is at his job.)

4. Ed Eliote August 7, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

yea the show has gotten really bad..won’t listen when he does his infomercial on health products..”take 15 of these a day, 10 of these ..blah blah”..no mention of costs..and noory has become very dumb..always interrupting guests with stupid questions and he just pushes his other ventures..live shows and paranormal dating. Too many shows on very boring subjects..bring back someone like Art Bell

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k August 7, 2017 at 11:38 pm #

There are some guests where he seems more interested and lively than others. I heard him the other night with a psychic (I forget her name, she was hawking a book) and George bordered on almost being a good host that night.

5. GE September 2, 2017 at 11:14 pm #

Nearly every coast listener gave Noory a chance.Art Bell was not perfect- but he was always an interesting interviewer.Noory ruined coast through detachment and consistent weakness of production.The majority of guests that have not abandoned him and clown sidekick tom_ are forced to listen to infomercial shows and staged calls from staged same old callers.

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k September 3, 2017 at 12:22 am #

“Detachment” is great way of putting it.