The Problem With Coast To Coast AM and George Noory

30 Jun

June 30, 2016

I make fun of Coast to Coast AM with George Noory a lot. A LOT. In case you don’t know the show, here is their own description:

Coast to Coast AM airs on more than 600 stations in the U.S., as well as Canada, Mexico and Guam, and is heard by nearly three million weekly listeners. With hosts George Noory, George Knapp (weekend), and guest weekend hosts, it is the most listened to overnight radio program in North America. A media phenomenon, Coast to Coast AM deals with UFOs, strange occurrences, life after death, and other unexplained (and often inexplicable) phenomena. Coast to Coast AM is overnight talk radio with daytime ratings.

What that leaves out is that it is not nearly as popular or respected as it was under Art Bell, who created it. It also leaves out that under George Noory the show has become a joke. You’ll see why soon.

Art Bell was a critical questioner and listener. He had as guests experts in major scientific fields as well as those involved in fringe paranormal research. But no matter who he had on, he asked probing and intelligent questions and did not let anyone who made outrageous claims go unchallenged. George is just the opposite. Not only is he himself ill-informed  about most of the topics he addresses, he rarely asks follow up questions and never, ever challenges a guest about anything said. Even callers with ridiculous claims are given a “gosh, wow!” by George. Ghost of Hitler got off a UFO and had a picnic with Bigfoot on your front lawn while you danced with pixies and made sandwiches? “That sounds like some afternoon. Do you think they chose you intentionally or do you live in a UFO hot spot?”

The big issue is that George is totally uncritical and unquestioning. He is open to anything and will never, ever say a negative word about anything or anyone.

I debunked a UFO claim on their Facebook page the other day.

C2C crap

I’m not an expert on UFOs. I’m just a guy with an interest in things who has read some books. Surely the host of Coast to Coast AM with George Noory, a “media phenomemon” who has been delving into the mysteries of the paranormal for 13 years, would be more knowledgeable than me. Surely someone on his staff would do some research on an alleged UFO photo before posting it on their website. Surely they wouldn’t be powned by a noob like me, right?

Nah, that’s giving them too much credit. No one checks anything. No one bothers. They put anything out there no matter how fake or stupid. (And you should really see some of the stupid stuff on their page.) I saw that photo and immediately knew it was fake. I recognized that UFO from one of the most famous pictures in all of UFOlogy. It is lifted from one of the McMinnville, Oregon photos from 1950.

mcminnville01

Not just a similar object, but the same exact photo. Same lighting. Same silhouette. Same everything except that the doctored photo is so badly done it is a lot blurrier. (To be fair, some of that blurriness came when I enlarged it. Go to their page for the original.) I saw their post, recognized the photo, googled “UFO over farm house” and found that picture in under 20 seconds. The giveaway that it is the exact image is the way the light- and possibly the grain of the photo- makes the left top edge of the object appear to be pointed. Look closely in the Facebook post, it’s there too. I didn’t need any computer skills, I used my own two eyes!

And if you think that it looks like something hanging from a wire, that’s the common claim of debunkers.

That picture dates back to 1950. It is over 65 years old and has been reprinted in books all over the world since then, not to mention the internet. But did the “media phenomenon” recognize it? Nope, no one even bothered to look into it for a second.  It took me to discover that it was a doctored picture? Way to go George Noory.

34 Responses to “The Problem With Coast To Coast AM and George Noory”

1. Deborah Scalli January 25, 2017 at 12:20 am #

Was looking up common fake news sites. CTC was one.

Liked by 1 person

2. Aaron Hutchcraft March 25, 2017 at 10:55 pm #

I think(nowadays)george is stepping away from original interest of intrigue and conversation-& towards $ & “marketable”interest….ie…paranormal date.com-hes not as faithful to the show anymore…

Liked by 1 person

3. Manny Perez May 3, 2017 at 3:31 am #

Art Bell delivery of his knowledge and proficiency in what he does best made me hunger intellectually but listening to George Noory insults my intelligence

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k May 3, 2017 at 10:07 pm #

It is insulting, even to the guests. Noory often doesn’t even listen to what they say before moving on to another question, sometimes one the guest answered while Noory wasn’t paying attention.

• BringBackArtBell July 27, 2017 at 6:37 pm #

I agree 100 percent! Get rid of the bum!! C2C has gotten incredibly boring, in addition to becoming one big fat info-mercial for “the Doc” (lmao veterinarian???) and the Carnivora guy.not to mention his aunt Matilda and Beyond Berief.

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k July 27, 2017 at 9:29 pm #

I’ve never given Beyond Belief a shot since it it beyond my belief that people think George has anything interesting to say. But George is never going away because he is a good company man. From what I’ve read online he has less power over the guests and the show in general than most people think. (But that doesn’t change how bad he is at his job.)

4. Ed Eliote August 7, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

yea the show has gotten really bad..won’t listen when he does his infomercial on health products..”take 15 of these a day, 10 of these ..blah blah”..no mention of costs..and noory has become very dumb..always interrupting guests with stupid questions and he just pushes his other ventures..live shows and paranormal dating. Too many shows on very boring subjects..bring back someone like Art Bell

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k August 7, 2017 at 11:38 pm #

There are some guests where he seems more interested and lively than others. I heard him the other night with a psychic (I forget her name, she was hawking a book) and George bordered on almost being a good host that night.

5. GE September 2, 2017 at 11:14 pm #

Nearly every coast listener gave Noory a chance.Art Bell was not perfect- but he was always an interesting interviewer.Noory ruined coast through detachment and consistent weakness of production.The majority of guests that have not abandoned him and clown sidekick tom_ are forced to listen to infomercial shows and staged calls from staged same old callers.

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k September 3, 2017 at 12:22 am #

“Detachment” is great way of putting it.

• james gilbert July 11, 2018 at 7:47 pm #

that part about the staged callers is true ever since noory has been there i have never been able to get in on the phone but some seam to all ways get in wow he doent want to be challenged he lives in his own world which is getting smaller

• bmj2k July 13, 2018 at 11:09 am #

He doesn’t want to be challenged because he really knows very little about the topics on the show. He does know about the bible, I’ll give him that, but that’s it. Yet when, some months back, he had a pair of guests whose views and interpretations of the bible disagreed with his, rather than discuss or debate them, he just went to commercial and came back without them, claiming they had to rush off. He had a lot to say after they were off the phone but little when he had them on.

6. Mark Harrison March 26, 2018 at 12:20 pm #

Coasttocoastam ‘insiders’ like me are now having to bear Georges “sing-fest” commercials on the rebroadcast downloads. It was the straw that broke the camels back. Today I cancelled my ‘membership’. I’m surprised I waited so long. I’ve been a ‘member’ for 10 years but the party is over. My neighbor did the same last month. I find myself fast forwarding thru the shows or just never downloading certain ones…like the supplement informercials. Did George HAVE A STROKE?????? He slurs words / butchers clichés / very detached. Poor guy.

• bmj2k March 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm #

I used to be a member too, but what made me quit was liking the shows without George much better. I really liked Ian Punnett. But I realized that although the money wasn’t that much, I was skipping a lot of shows I didn’t like to get to the ones I did, and there were too few to really justify staying a member.

7. Bob Davids April 16, 2018 at 5:36 pm #

I only listen to it when George Knapp is on and that’s only twice a month. I can’t stand Noory, he’s ruined the show. Art Bell passed away on April 13, 2018. Coast to Coast AM died the day he left.

Liked by 1 person

8. kathyweber124gmailcom April 19, 2018 at 10:25 am #

C2C has turned in the an online version of the national enquirer. We are letting our subscription to the site lapse. We’re done with it.

Liked by 1 person

• bmj2k April 20, 2018 at 12:49 pm #

I let mine lapse years ago.

9. Teresa LeBlanc April 30, 2018 at 3:58 am #

I cannot stand C2C anymore. The only time I listen is when there is a guest host. The bumper music with Art Bell was as much a part of the experience of listening to the show as the content. Noory is ridiculously boring. He talks incessantly about money (crypto currency), and maybe about three other topics over and over and over……. The bumper music sucks. I call it “old man music”. He thinks he is Sinatra. And one thing I hate so very much is that damn vitamin pusher once a month. Who the hell wants to listen to two hours of that crap? I hate infomercials! I found other things to listen to instead. It’s a damn shame what he did to Art Bell’s legacy.

• bmj2k April 30, 2018 at 1:17 pm #

Totally agree.

• james gilbert May 22, 2018 at 2:46 am #

its Monday night may 21 and another infomercial night on c2c its so sad what has happened to c2c

• Corliss Sinclair June 24, 2018 at 10:56 am #

I thought it was just me! I am so tired of Mr. Noory thinking he can sing, and worse than that, believing an audience wants to hear him sing. He’s like a goofy uncle at someone’s wedding reception. He seems to continually have ‘The Numbers Lady’ which annoys me to no end, and that doctor hawking his pill packages for more money than I can ever afford. I guess only rich folks are the audience with C2C. I no longer have my subscription because because I only enjoy listening to guest hosts and it’s just not worth it. I went with Dave Schrader; M.I.T.D. who is an excellent host!!! Mr. Noory will be in the middle of a very interesting point with a guest, when the break comes, and then he never follows up with it once back from break. That is SO annoying!!!! Many times he doesn’t seem to be listening to what he is being told. He had this really nice woman on talking about reincarnation involving what children tell us. He said to her “do you have much of a problem with the parents who don’t believe in reincarnation?” She had to remind him twice that parents who DON’T accept reincarnation AREN’T a part of the group… duh. Twice she had to mention that. I can’t sit through any more of this irritating stupidity. I LOVE Ian Punnit, George Knapp, Jimmy Church, ect., but I’m much too tired of George Noory to stay with C2C. Similar content on M.I.T.D. and with the same wonderful Interviewer/Host Dave Schrader. I subscribed and don’t have commercials either.

• bmj2k June 25, 2018 at 2:13 pm #

Big fan of Knapp and I’m very glad to hear Punnit again. There’s plenty of alternatives out there to the C2C nonsense.

10. Wanderer1 May 23, 2018 at 4:38 am #

Totally agree 2. Coast 2 Coast is more like Clinic 2 Clinic AM this days.
    Pushing so many remedies/books and George constantly interrupting the guests/dropping the callers and not following on the topic. Instead of giving a
    follow up insight to the guest, his follow up is “east from the rockies” next!
    After listening to Art for so many years, I still find myself tuning in to Coast every night hoping for a miracle to happen just to turn it off as soon as the onslaught of commercials start endlessly and that awful snorting commercial that almost tears up my ears in the middle of the night. All the magic that Art created..unfortunately, left with him when he left.

• bmj2k May 24, 2018 at 11:59 am #

I only tune in when A- George Knapp is hosting and B- if there is an excellent guest with Noory. I can out up with his garbage for a great guest. But there aren’t many any more. David Paulides is an exception.

11. Greg Smedal July 6, 2018 at 1:40 am #

I completely agree, Wt hell He expects me to join and pay to offer my opinion. BS. I actually had real pics of a potential Impression of a foreign object that had been on the ground in front of my car, in Feb in Maine. Mufon (who I am starting to think are actually collectors, and debunkers), after filling out a 30 minute form, mufon states, its just an impression of a 5 gallon pale lid. Again bs this thing had concentric patterns Far More complex than a 5 gallon pale’s lid. Please let me know where I can send some pics of this. Get the scoop Noory is too busy to pay attention to! I am not nuts, I work as a fleet maintenance manager for a large company, I am a husband and Father, with a mortgage. Please Please let me know where to send these 3 pics

12. Bryan Pope July 11, 2018 at 2:05 pm #

I stumbled here after googling if Norry was leaving at the end of the year. Evidently I dreamt it or it was an alternate timeline. 😉 I agree with most of what you’ve said and glad Im not alone. Bell had flaws too. His political shows, were he dared democrats to call in so he could berate them, were awful. But his saturday night Somewhere In Time shows remind me how awesome he could be. C2C Am needs new blood

• bmj2k July 11, 2018 at 2:35 pm #

Interesting that Bell had political shows when he did the paranormal stuff to get away from typical political shows. But I do recall him becoming more political as time went on.

13. elektra July 14, 2018 at 8:29 am #

It seems to me that all the political guests Noory has on are hawking Putin’s agenda. They talk about how great Trump is and how Russia isn’t really that bad. I can’t stand the bias. No one is allowed on that challenges conservative views or criticizes our current political leaders.

• bmj2k July 14, 2018 at 5:53 pm #

I honestly haven’t listened to more than six shows this year but I follow the comments on every show on Facebook. Aside from Doc Wallet and phony medicine political guests are the biggest complaint. But no one on the show cares.

• james gilbert July 14, 2018 at 8:02 pm #

hi bmi2k when i saw your post i had to let you know i feel the same i see the face book posts to and wonder why dont they care about all the negative posts i can only read them i was blocked from commenting about a year ago because i said something about georges bad hair dye job that must have been it because now im blocked anyway your not alone thanks

• bmj2k July 14, 2018 at 11:03 pm #

Thanks to you too. I’m not blocked (yet) but they’ve removed my posts three or four times and none were nasty just critical. Once I pointed out they were possibly breaking some FCC rules about disclosing paid relationships with guests and advertisers. Seriously one advertisers url is noorybeets. Ok George isn’t getting money from that? And they did ads with Ty Bollinger that were fake C2C interviews designed to mimic the show. That’s deceptive advertising under FCC regs.

• kimmarie September 5, 2018 at 2:31 am #

I rarely listen any more. I like Trump, but I didn’t listen to C2C for politics, crystals, nutrition or dating. I listened for the paranormal topics, for the weird subject matter and even the occasional creepy caller. C2C was my time to get away from the “norm” but that seems to be, for the most part, gone now.

• bmj2k September 6, 2018 at 9:30 pm #

I really wonder where that comes from. For all of George’s flaws and faults he doesn’t own the show, the network does. I’ve heard that he has influence over the guests and topics but not final say.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )