Beauty and the Beached

7 Jan

January 7, 2011

Short and sweet today.

This is from the New York Post. (Their motto: We used to employ journalists.)

One of these swimsuit models is hot. The other seems to be doing an impression of a manatee.

7 Responses to “Beauty and the Beached”

1. bmj2k January 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

I hope this is not before and after.

2. TexasTrailerParkTrash January 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

I hope they paid the “un-hot” one for using her picture in the paper, or at least got her permission to do so.

I’d like to see what Victoria looks like in thirty or forty years. 🙂

• bmj2k January 8, 2011 at 12:28 am #

All kidding aside, it was really unfair to run that picture.

3. Thomas Stazyk January 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

What is really scary is that with the way obesity is being normalized in society, in the future people will look at that pic and say: “Ewww, what’s wrong with that woman on the left, she looks like a skeleton!”

You watch.

• bmj2k January 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

Now that’s very interesting. On the one hand I do agree. America especially, but all over, obesity is becoming more common. On the other hand, Overweight people are one of the last types of people that can be safely made fun of. Airlines can discriminate by making large people buy two seats (though there may be perfect sense in that) and TV shows can make them the butt of jokes without fear of backlash. I myself changed my own post. I originally wrote “one is hot and the other has a layer of blubber to keep her warm” but I changed it to the current joke. It may still be insulting but it is without the fat reference. Why? I got the feeling after I posted it that it may have been a bit too mean. Not to the woman in the picture, but to the may reader who may themselves be that shape.

That said, for my money, it is not just the fat but the expression on her face, the pose, and the suspicion I have that she is wearing not a swimsuit but her underwear that make the picture. By itself, the fact she’s fat isn’t enough to be funny.

4. Phoenix February 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

I’m late to this party, so to speak and to say that I’m disgusted is an understatement. I hope she sued the paper for defamation and slander.