Imponderable #3: Maryland

29 Jun

June 29, 2011

The legal profession is one of the least respected and trusted. Only politicians and used car salesmen have worse reputations. Is it deserved? In many cases it is not. Other times they bring it on themselves.

I have to say upfront that I know nothing of this law firm other than what I read in the advertisement above. (I have to say it to avoid a lawsuit. You know how lawyers are.)

That ad is designed to drum up business. It does do by highlighting the lawyers “winning track record.” The disclaimer then goes on to suggest that you should ignore the winning track record. (They have to say it to avoid a lawsuit. They know how lawyers are too.) The ad then goes on to describe a case the firm won in which their client was awarded $1.725 million in an out-of-court settlement.

In a nutshell, the case involved a driver who was rear-ended by a speeding donut truck and suffered a severe head injury and amnesia. Though it doesn’t mention the police, I bet they were at the scene of the donut tragedy in a heartbeat.

That is all well and good as far as it goes, but was it a wise choice to show how seriously they take their jobs by headlining the story with the bad joke “Man is Creamed by a Donut truck”? You know, because many donuts are filled with cream? And should they have trivialized the horrible auto accident as a “bump in the road”?

I would also like to state for the record that lawyers are not known for their sense of humor, and there’s the proof.

Would you trust your legal representation to a firm with such a silly attitude?

Why would a law firm put such poor jokes into their ad and expect to be taken seriously?

The question is Imponderable.

12 Responses to “Imponderable #3: Maryland”

1. Thomas Stazyk June 29, 2011 at 1:40 am #

You raise good questions–I was curious so I checked out the website and the guy is BIG business. I wasn’t on the page for more than 30 seconds when a window popped up asking if I wanted to chat online about my personal injury and get advice on how to proceed. From looking at the site I don’t think it’s a question of the guy having a bad, or any kind of, sense of humor. I think he just has no human emotion. If you have a look at the “Death of Any Kind” page, which is kind of a wide open topic, this is what it says:

Your first step
    Take a breath to mourn the loss of your loved one

Your second step
    Call an experienced personal injury attorney, like Attorney Lawrence Land. Mr. Land has been practicing all over Virginia for 34 years and has never hesitated to give a free consultation.

In other words, don’t even have a funeral or bury them–he’s a real class act.

• bmj2k June 29, 2011 at 2:01 am #

WOW. I never actually saw his home page- a search brought me to the one I took the screencap from. I had to see it for myself and the first thing I saw was a video of the lawyer pointing out a window to where a Coast Guard helicopter was (apparently) resucing a man from the water. He said that the guy fell in due to “the negligence of someone else in an airplane” and he (the lawyer) arranged for the rescue. So I am being asked to believe that while drowning, the man in the water called not 911, not the police, not emergency servies, but his lawyer, who then arranged for the Coast Guard to come get him. “We made arrangements for that heliciopter to pick up that man right away.”

I am just a bit skeptical.

• Thomas Stazyk June 29, 2011 at 3:15 am #

Me too! I just watched that video and it doesn’t pass the giggle test. First, how does someone’s negligence cause someone else to fall out of a plane? Second, since when do lawyers have spotters to call in helicopters to rescue people who fall out of planes because of others’ negligence. Third, I don’t see anyone in the water or being winched up. Another imponderable!

• bmj2k June 29, 2011 at 3:40 am #

I had no idea I stumbled onto such an amazing site! I need to look further into it.

• Thomas Stazyk June 29, 2011 at 4:05 am #

It is a veritable cornucopia of Imponderables. Like this one from the Brain Injury section:

“If you’ve have suffered a severe brain injury due to the negligence of someone else, it is important to know what your rights are.”

How can someone with a severe brain injury make those kinds of executive decisions?

• bmj2k June 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

I think you’d need one to hire this guy.

• bmj2k June 29, 2011 at 3:45 am #

And why a helicopter instead of a boat?

• Thomas Stazyk June 29, 2011 at 4:07 am #

Maybe his marketing people thought that a helicopter implies faster service than a boat?

• bmj2k June 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

In the middle of an obviously small harbor?

2. Marc Barnhill June 29, 2011 at 8:48 am #

I can’t NOT hear the donut truck story being read by Lionel Hutz.

• bmj2k June 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

But your card says “No Money Down.”
      Oh, that’s a typo. It should say “No, Money Down!”

3. Car Accident Lawyer MN April 23, 2014 at 8:49 am #

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work
    and coverage! Keep up the great works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.