Critics Corner: Michael Mongello

7 Sep
September 7, 2010

Hi everyone. I’d like to take some time away from my parade of bad B-movies, the Teutuls, Noots, and traveling teddy bears to showcase someone who actually has talent and deserves some broader recognition.

Michael Mongello is the talented creator of the comic book  Jungle Women vs. Dracula as well as the versatile illustrator of many other subjects. Below you’ll find just some of his work, spanning the superhero and fantasy genres, life-like portraits, and familiar movie and television icons.

Honestly, just picking a dozen was a Herculean task, and I was not up to it. Fourteen of his pieces are here for you, but I could have picked ten times that number and not a single one would disappoint. To see more of his work, please go to his websites, linked below and in the sidebar.

Michael has already reached a higher audience and certainly doesn’t need the exposure of this blog, but he has graciously allowed me to hang some of his artwork in my “virtual gallery.” Please enjoy!

A quick look at how a sketch becomes a finished product.

The Batmobile!

And another sweet ride.

Ask your local comic shop!

More than just comics.

By the Power of Greyskull!

Michael Mongello is the Artist and Illustrator

of Jungle Women vs. Dracula and Titans: Icons of Mythology.

To check out more artwork visit

www.Supermonge.com

or

Michael Mongello on Facebook

9 Responses to “Critics Corner: Michael Mongello”

1. Thomas Stazyk September 8, 2010 at 4:46 am #

I’ve admired supermonge’s stuff since I first found it–I think through your blog! Great stuff and I wish him all the best.

2. JRD Skinner September 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

Fantastic work – that Creature From The Black Lagoon is at least twice as epic, as a still picture, as the original rubber suit was, as a movie.

3. Supermonge September 9, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

Thanks a lot, Guys!…This Blog came out awesome.Thanks again!

4. Janece September 9, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

Absolutely incredible illustrations! My husband works at the local art college, and he sees so many kids trying to get into this type of work, only to be discouraged by some professor who say this isn’t “real” art. They try to say it’s too commercial and doesn’t count. It’s sad because these kids are so talented! Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and Waldorf & Statler are my heroes!!

• TexasTrailerParkTrash September 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

Yes, it is sad that kids are discouraged by a professor (or anyone) who tells them what is and isn’t art. Creativity should be celebrated, not squashed.

This artwork really is remarkable–love the portrait especially. Great job!

5. Danielle Oliva December 7, 2010 at 2:13 am #

Mike Mongello does fabulous work. He captures the essence & the soul in everything he does. He’s a brilliant artist who is going places! Keep up the great work Mike!

• bmj2k December 7, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Eh, he’s OK.

Just kidding!

• Supermonge December 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

AHHH..Here it is…haha…Thanks Danielle…=)…Ehh..I’m Okay…Haha

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Critics Corner: Star Wars Edition « Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride - December 5, 2010

[…] a previous Critics Corner I showcased the art of Michael Mongello. Check it out, click on the link. Good […]