Imponderable #2: Hoquiam Washington

24 Jun

June 24, 2011

Is that the world’s worst knock knock joke?

*knock knock*
“Who’s there?”

“Me.”
“Me wh- hey, wait a minute, what are you doing carrying a dead weasel?”
“It’s not a weasel, it’s a marten.”

smashes resident in the face with weas- er, marten
“Maybe it’s a mink.”

But that’s not the Imponderable. And neither is “what the heck is a marten?” (A marten is in the same family as minks and weasels, and those are all just ferrets to me.) The Imponderable comes from the following article which reports the same story from a very different point of view.

Why does the writer of the article think that the salient point of the story is that a man mistook a marten for a mink? And bonus points if you realized that the headline got it wrong- he mistook a mink for a marten.

The AP article doesn’t mention motive, which anyone reading that article must be dying to know. Wouldn’t you want to know why a man hit another man with a dead animal? The first article gave the motive, that they were dating the same woman. The second only hinted at a motive, that he was looking for his girlfriend. Believe it or not, the New York Post had the better reporting.

The AP article must not find that angle interesting. It devoted more space to the identification of the animal, its scientific family, and its habitat.

Why does the Associated Press find it more interesting and important that a man misidentified a mink than the assault?

The question is Imponderable.

13 Responses to “Imponderable #2: Hoquiam Washington”

1. Daniel June 24, 2011 at 12:27 am #

Fur is murder !! Or maybe just assault…..
    I want to find out PETA’s & Earth First’s take on this story.

Instead of PETA, I’m a member of Mankind for Ethical Animal Treatment, aka MEAT. 😉 😀

2. JRD Skinner June 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

I’m loving this new imponderable series.

• bmj2k June 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Thanks. I’m trying to change the way some things are presented. Next Tuesday is a good example. Even Saturday Comics gets a slight repurposing next week. The next Imponderable is Wednesday, featuring a odd choice of words for a law firm.

3. Marc Barnhill June 24, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Oh my GOD, it was a MINK?

• bmj2k June 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Alert the media! Oh, wait,…

4. Thomas Stazyk June 25, 2011 at 4:17 am #

Maybe they thought that the guy with the dead critter was such a purist he took offence when the other guy couldn’t identify it and that’s what elicited the punch?

• bmj2k June 25, 2011 at 4:35 am #

I think that’s a Japanese game show.

5. Thomas Stazyk June 25, 2011 at 4:37 am #

You’re right! Except on the show the punch doesn’t come in the face as I recall.

6. Daniel June 25, 2011 at 6:35 am #

Why am I suddenly looking for recipes involving road – kill & other creatures who died unaccountable deaths ? 🙂 😉
    & yes, I do live in the South, even though I’ve never tasted road – kill, nor do I ” hanker ” to. Been around y’all flatland furiners too long. 😉 Yee – Haw !

• bmj2k June 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

Is there a lot of mink roadkill?

• zathra June 25, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Why, I hain’t never seen me no mink road kill when me & the boys from the gun club is out drinkin,shootin’ & muddin’, no sir. We shot us up a mess o’ kosher beef & ham oncet….. Then the Costco store manager told us to get our asses outta there, or he’d make us ” squeal like pigs ! “. 😉

• bmj2k June 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

Those Costco bosses are plain nasty.

• Daniel June 25, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

Even worse than Wal – Mart, the Macy’s of the South & Middle America, Ah tell yew whut ( strangely, very few Southerners that I know really talk like that. ) 😉