Spotlight: Jimbo (The OTR Guy)

1 Aug

August 1, 2012

Spotlight Week rolls on with Jimbo. Jimbo is one of the true Good Guys on the internet. One of his many interests is OTR, Old Time Radio, a topic I know a bit about myself as well. But if I know a bit, Jimbo knows tons. One of his favorite shows is Vic and Sade, a very funny show I have slowly become a fan of thanks to Jimbo and his great site http://vicandsade.blogspot.com/ (just one of his many sites- this guy does a lot, including keeping a great twitter feed running) where you can learn all about this funny show, and also Uncle Fletcher, Jimbo’s favorite character. You can click on the link in the sidebar to go to http://otrbuffet.blogspot.com/, a site that has something about everything in OTR, including a couple of interviews with me, Your Obedient Servant. I also must add that some recent content on this blog has been inspired by his very funny ideas.

Today, Jimbo moves away from what I’ve come to expect from him and tells us of a very personal experience. Although it is rarely mentioned in this blog, Jimbo and I share an interest in the following topic, though his story beats any of mine.

Object: Unidentified and Flying

Thanks to BMJ2K, who has opened his website to me to do whatever I wanted to do.  I had thoughts of writing something really, imaginatively funny and I thought about writing something tear-jerkingly sad as well.

However, what I have chosen to do is tell you a true story, something that once happened to me.  I don’t ask you to believe me; you can do as you wish.

It was a cool morning and a humid one in 1997 or 1998. It is always humid here.  I live less than 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and am in the deepest, darkest part of Georgia, right in the middle of God-only-knows how many swamps.  Sure, I’ve seen plenty of gators and wild boar.  Deer and tree frogs are common too.  That’s life in the middle of nowhere.

Actually, it isn’t fair to say“nowhere” because there is a Naval base in the town where I live.  This means that the town is made up of all manner of Americans with about a million dialects.

So one morning, about 14 years ago, I headed off to work.  I had to be there at 5:30 am; something I’ve always been used to doing has been to rise and shine at an early hour.

I don’t remember much about that morning until it happened.  Out of my left upper periphery I noticed a very bright light.  The light was so bright and so close that I slowed down to a near crawl, as there was no one on the street but me.  There were power lines on both sides of the street and I was near my work site and I began – not be scared – but to becomes enchanted by what I saw.

I could see now there were about 6 visible lights.  They were round and white and reminded me of basketballs, although they were probably much larger.  What happened next bewildered me and left me speechless – even though there was no one to talk to at the time.

I could see now that this object was a flying vehicle of some sort and though I could not to this day tell you exactly what it was, except it was flying and had many bright lights.  It came down low, came right at my truck, probably at a speed of 30 miles an hour or so and brushed right over my vehicle.  The light blinded me and awed me all at once and I did not have the hindsight to look back to watch where it went.  As a matter of fact, I kept driving and I didn’t speed up or slow down that I remember.  I often wonder now what it was that kept me from looking back.

When I got to work, I parked and sat there a good 5-10 minutes reflecting on what had happened.  Did I just have a real experience?  Am I fully awake?  Did I just see a vehicle come out of the sky and come right over me?  The answer to all of those questions was yes.

I was in my right, fully capable mind that morning.  I was not on any narcotic nor was I an indulger of alcohol.  What happened to me was real.

I thought to myself – and still wonder to this day – if this was some kind of government (maybe a Navy) vehicle.  It could have been, I never have said it was an alien vehicle or a “flying saucer.”  However, the thing defied the laws of psychics.  It maneuvered flawlessly, silently over and around power lines.

I was excited.  I couldn’t wait to tell people what I saw.  But of course you know what happened when I told them.  Coming from me, one of the biggest leg-pullers in North America, no one believed me.  To this day the only people I feel really believe the story are my brother and sister.

I have been foolish enough to tell the story enough times to be fully disbelieved about a thousand times.  And now, a thousand and one.

20 Responses to “Spotlight: Jimbo (The OTR Guy)”

1. pennycoho August 1, 2012 at 12:27 am #

Great story. Still 1,000 as I do believe you!

2. Thomas Stazyk August 1, 2012 at 1:22 am #

I believe you saw something–would love to know what it was.

• zathra August 1, 2012 at 8:17 am #

Part of me is a skeptic, & part of me tries to keep an open mind about things like u.f.o.’s, ghosts, hauntings, alien abductions, & similar phenomena. I left a comment that it might’ve been swamp gas / a ” will o’ the wisp “, but that was just because I had a nearly similar experience in the 80’s.

• bmj2k August 1, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Not to argue, because I agree there are often any number or answers, bit has swamp gas ever been an answer for anything but the most vague of sightings? Or at all? I know it is a real phenomenon but in a case like this it doesn’t fit.

I’m a believer in a lot of phenomena, UFOs included, but I have an insanely high threshold of belief and often sound like a skeptic.

• zathra August 1, 2012 at 8:41 am #

I’ve seen a few things that I couldn’t explain, swamp gas may or may not be an explanation for what he saw. I do know – or am fairly certain – that it couldn’t have been a meteorite or piece of a satellite entering the atmosphere. I doubt it could’ve been a helicopter because apparently there was no noise. Certainly not a low – flying plane.

If it was a prank it would’ve been a VERY elaborate one.

3. zathra August 1, 2012 at 1:28 am #

I don’t disbelieve you, but could there not be a more scientific explanation, perhaps swap gas ( common in humid areas of the South ) or marshy, pretty much perpetually damp areas of the South, Southeast, & East coasts ? The presence of power lines, microwave / cellular towers & other relatively high energy EMF sources could have worked with the presence of swamp gas in some sort of fashion too.
    I remember when I was at a summer camp in a moist, semi – boggy area during the 80’s. I saw a dim – to – moderately glowing semi – spherical object pass over a car in which I & some other campers had been riding. It came so near to the car that I thought it was going to hit us, but it just passed on over. Later I recalled both folk lore & scientific explanations re. : the ” will o’ the wisp ” phenomena in many rural areas, primarily the East – Southeastern U.S., & I was inclined to believe that was what I saw rather than anything paranormal..

• Jimbo August 1, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Swamp gas? Try reading the story again!

This was a valid vehicle from the sky.

Look, I don’t expect you or anyone else to believe me. I knew this when I wrote it. But it happened just as I have told it you.

BTW, swamp gas doesn’t have lights the size of basketballs. 😉

• bmj2k August 1, 2012 at 8:40 am #

For my part I totally believe you saw a real, solid craft. My only question is whete it came from. Your story reminds me of all the sightings in the Mid-West over the years that turned put to be X craft, like the stealth fighter. But I’m also open to an ET answer.

• J.R.D. Skinner August 1, 2012 at 11:05 am #

I’m in the same boat. My first thought was to wonder if it might be some sort of early 4-rotor drone, which would certainly match the maneuvering Jimbo saw.

• zathra August 1, 2012 at 8:45 am #

An experimental aircraft / hovercraft ? That’s what I think most UFO sightings are, but I’m open to the idea of an extra – terrestrial vehicle, believe it or not.

• Thomas Stazyk August 1, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

What’s intriguing about this one is that the lights were so close–not like over the horizon or way up in the sky so it would seem less likely that you saw a plane or balloon and mistook it for moving lights.

• zathra August 1, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Hmmm. If there were clouds & stormy weather nearby, then ” ball lightning ( rare, but not unheard of meteorological phenomenon ) ” could almost be an explanation, but that wasn’t a factor here, unfortunately ( ? ).

• Jimbo August 2, 2012 at 6:04 am #

VEE HIK’ UL

• zathra August 2, 2012 at 6:41 am #

I’m just trying to employ the process of elimination, gleaned from a lot of time watching detective shows. 😐

4. J.R.D. Skinner August 1, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Fascinating tale, Jimbo! I do wonder if it was something the Navy was working on, but it certainly doesn’t sound like a weather balloon.

• Jimbo August 1, 2012 at 10:42 am #

It was probably a swamp balloon 🙂

5. Jimbo August 1, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Remember, this was 1998 or ’97 – as far as I know there were no drones then – and this was large – probably 12′ x 12′ at least.

• bmj2k August 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

None that you know of. Military usually has things in progress a good 10 years before the general public even gets a whiff of it.

• Jimbo August 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

Could be. I don’t deny that it could have been a military vehicle.

6. The Hook August 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Good Guys rule! Great share!