YouTube Turns People Into Idiots.

17 Oct

October 18, 2010

Actually, what it does is take idiots and give them a forum. That gives the idiots carte  blanche to act stupid in public.

Case in point:

I was shopping in ShopRite tonight and I came upon this scene:

• A large display of mousetraps, knocked over and  scattered all over the floor.
  • A man, obviously a store manager, wearing a crisp shirt and tie, on his hands and knees scooping up the traps into a shopping cart.
  • A woman, holding the hand of a young child with her left hand, and filming the mess with her cell phone camera in her right over the man’s shoulder not two feet away. She was smiling and in a hoarse, cigarette-ruined voice, narrating into the phone and laughing.

“See this mess? (ha ha ha) This is the mess my baby made. (turns the camera to the child, who is laughing and playing with a rat trap, and pans back.) This shit is all over the floor and this guy (ha ha ha) has to clean it up! This is going up tonight! (ha ha cough rasp ha)”

You could see from the look on the manager’s face that he was seething and wanted to at the very least kick the crap out of the woman, but he kept his professionalism and ignored her. I really don’t know how he did it.

But this woman thought it was great! Just great! that her son knocked over the display, felt no need to help clean it up, and thought nothing of embarrassing the poor guy so she could post the whole mess on YouTube. And on top of it all, there was nothing funny about any of it. It was all really sad. That woman needs to have her kid taken away if that’s how she’s raising him.

I don’t blame YouTube for turning her into an idiot. She must have been an idiot long before that site came along. But if it weren’t for YouTube she wouldn’t have been filming over the poor man’s shoulder and coughing into his ear and he would still have some of his dignity.

And on a related note, someone needs to tell ShopRite that it isn’t appetizing to have a mouse trap display right next to the fresh produce aisle.

9 Responses to “YouTube Turns People Into Idiots.”

1. Thomas Stazyk October 18, 2010 at 12:40 am #

Actually, I think that woman was an idiot before the advent of YouTube, but your point is valid. I can’t believe she didn’t help the guy. And teach her kid a lesson an have him help too. You should have videoed her parenting skills and put them up too!

• bmj2k October 18, 2010 at 11:59 am #

I couldn’t do it.
      I am one of the few people left who doesn’t go everywhere with a cell phone. I have one, but unless I’m traveling or out for the day it sits on my desk. I’m not a doctor or a lawyer or a primary care giver so I don’t feel the need to be reachable 24/7.

• Thomas Stazyk October 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Good for you! I’m the same way–unlike the 12 year olds in the malls who are constantly using the things! I’d go broke.

2. JRD Skinner October 18, 2010 at 9:45 am #

You should have whipped out your phone, started acting like you were recording her and then loudly started voicing over: “Look at this trash at the store, her kid made a huge mess and now she’s cackling about it for a youtube video instead of helping to pick up her own mess.”

This is what we get for having made her Time’s person of the year for 2006.

• bmj2k October 18, 2010 at 11:57 am #

I could swear I saw myself on that cover.

3. Richy and/or Cat... October 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

Dear Mr. Blog:

Yeah. I was absolutely last-ditch desperate to kill an hour, so I went into a rural Walmart. Three teen mutton heads were getting their jollies in the electronics department taking down those sealed-in-plastic phones, throwing them down and kicking them around. Cell-phone soccer. I gave them the evil eye, but that had minimal impact. If I didn’t have two bad knees and a touch of sciatica I’d have kicked some butt on the spot.

Then I went looking for what would pass for a manager, but no one was easily findable. So, I ended up deciding to not buy any electronic stuff at WalMart.

Yours truly,
    Richy

• bmj2k October 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm #

I couldn’t buy electronics there if I wanted too. It is always full of kids playing with the TV sets.

Thanks Richy!

4. American Girl October 18, 2010 at 7:16 pm #

Youtube is an idiot’s playground indeed. It’s also an elementary school talent show. It’s littered with homemade videos of people “singing” and feeling good about the “you’re so talented” comments they receive. I believe this is the kind of dangerous self promotion that created Bieber.

• bmj2k October 18, 2010 at 8:05 pm #

Uh! Bieber! UGH!

What I hate about YouTube are all the people who give their reviews of Doctor Who. Some of those people are delusional!

I think you are right on the mark. Thanks for stopping by.