The Return of I Found It on eBay!

23 Aug

August 23, 2012

I Found It on eBay was a fun feature for me to write. I wrote three posts about the strange and usually awful things people not only sold but often bought online. You can find the most recent post here, along with links to the older two.

It was fun, and I haven’t done it in a long time, so I decided it was time to dive into the deep end of the pool again, so here are some more true bargains you can bid on.

A soiled curtain for your child. Yes, of course, why wouldn’t someone buy it? It only has an unknown stain from a previous owner, I’m sure it is nothing that your child shouldn’t be exposed to. Unbelievably, it has FOUR bids. It was up to seven dollars. The shipping is seven-fifty, so this dirty piece of plastic is ours for only $14. C’mon people, buy a new curtain!

This isn’t the first horse with a broken leg I’ve found on eBay. Even better, if you go back to my old posts, you’ll find a unicorn with a broken horn, which in my book makes it a plain old horse. This particular ol’ Man ‘o War is selling for the less than princely sum of $4.99. Toss in the shipping and this can be yours for less than $15. Or, if you are like me, it will not ever be yours. Who would want this? Ok, so it comes with the leg and you can glue it back on. Is it worth it for a small horse statue? You have to buy a broken horse and glue it together to decorate your home? Have some respect for yourself, skip this auction.

Honestly, the first thing that struck me was the description. “Putz” reindeer. Why an I laughing? Google “putz” and see. Anyway, this is a wrecked paiper-mache ornament. It is far worse than the horse up above. At least that has only one broken leg. This thing looks like it came out of the wrong end of your dog. Maybe I am wrong and this is highly collectible. Maybe this is a valuable piece of papier-mache history. And maybe there is a lone nutcase out there who actually bid $5 for this disaster.

Ok what? These are just creepy. Who wants these pictures? They are just weird. Cute? Well, maybe to you but sure not to me. Adorable? I just don’t see it. At least the baby in the first picture is smiling. The second? Looks like a picture you’d see on the wall of a haunted hotel. If I knew who was buying these pictures I’d know who I was never going to strike up a conversation with.

All in all, eBay is an awesome place to shop. If you like limbless animals and kids with broken limbs, then this is the place for you.

20 Responses to “The Return of I Found It on eBay!”

1. zathra August 23, 2012 at 12:14 am #

Oh, God, that made me laugh. This is on a par with pictures of Wal – Mart. 🙂 Pity I didn’t save my ripped jeans from the 70’s to sell on eBay or a bunch of VHS tapes that got mangled in the VCR when it tried to eat them. 😉

On the other hand I got some great fossils ( Orthoceras, trilobites ) & a very large fossilized shark vertebra at auction on eBay. America’s / the world’s garage sale !

• bmj2k August 23, 2012 at 12:25 am #

I have some leftover dinner I may put up on eBay later today.

2. zathra August 23, 2012 at 12:17 am #

I have an inspiration for children’s dolls – ” BABY BROKEN LEGS ” ! Cabbage Patch Kids with broken limbs.;)

• bmj2k August 23, 2012 at 12:25 am #

And the Mafia guys who broke them.

• zathra August 23, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Cabbage Patch Mafiosi ?

• bmj2k August 23, 2012 at 12:52 am #

There must be a niche for it.

• zathra August 23, 2012 at 4:19 am #

I’d like to see the people from ” Oddities ” sell some merchandise on eBay. If you’ve ever seen the Discovery Science series, you’ll know whereof I speak…..

3. pennycoho August 30, 2012 at 1:59 am #

Okay I’m full up now after visiting a few of your posts, I can go to bed now with a smile on my face, as soon as I stop laughing, I do enjoy you so!!!!!

• zathra August 30, 2012 at 6:34 am #

eBay – America’s Attic. I have some interesting items I purchased on eBay back when I had more money to throw around on such things. But Yahoo Auctions are the only place where you can buy Roman coins that you have to clean yourself. I got a small treasure trove from an old German professor who was getting rid of 4 house worth of archeological treasures from the Mediterranean & the Roman empire. His was the only market w / one could buy the hub of a Roman chariot wheel or part of an Egyptian sarcophagus – on eBay or Yahoo..

• bmj2k August 30, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Wow I’d almost bet you can find pirate booty there too!

• zathra August 30, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Maybe Phoenician stuff. I did business with this old German professor for several years after coming into a modestly – sizeable trust fund in the 90’s. He had stuff from nearly EVERYWHERE. I showed my ( late ) step – mom an Egyptian figurine, she asked where it came from. I said it came from a tomb, & she reacted like I was holding a shrunken head. 😉 I have no idea if the good professor is still alive or not, he was pushing 90 when last I dealt with him.
          Some of the things I bought from him & other dealers are still residing in my cousin’s family’s garage after 4 years.

• bmj2k August 30, 2012 at 11:46 am #

That is simply awesome.

• zathra August 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

I still have some Sumerian pendants & pottery lamps from Roman N. Africa packed away, there’s no room for them in this apartment. I don’t have the money for such things like I did. But it was a sweet ride. 😉

4. zathra August 30, 2012 at 9:28 am #

& re. : The soiled shower curtain – I saw a news story where they were auctioning off one of Elvis’ old Bibles ( KJV, really worn & tattered ) & they sold a pair of his underwear. ** stained ** I guess that makes it authentic. or sacred. 😀 Or maybe there’s some DNA on them they can use to clone Elvis in the future. 😉 The auction wasn’t online, I think it was Sotheby’s.

• bmj2k August 30, 2012 at 11:53 am #

One of the older posts has Elvis underwear. *shudder*

• zathra August 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Maybe Monica Lewinski’s blue dress is going up for auction, too. 😉

• bmj2k August 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

I’ll pass, both on the dress and the joke I was going to make.

• zathra August 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

Best not to make Hillary mad. 😉 She might stumble across this blog, you never know.

• bmj2k August 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Just what I need- another visit from the FBI.

• zathra August 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Don’t you mean the Secret Service ? My step – bro was part of that august group during several administrations.