Picture Postcard: Abandoned Sea Forts

27 Jun

June 27, 2011

Today’s Picture Postcard comes to us from AOL. I am shocked that it’s still around. Does anyone use it anymore?

Some tripods left over from the Martian invasion, perhaps?

Nope, wrong invasion.

Maunsell Sea Forts, UK

These fortified English towers were operated by the Royal Navy and provided anti-aircraft fire against German air raids during World War II. Built in 1942, the sea forts were towed into the Thames Estuary and grounded in water no deeper than 100 feet. Each fort consisted of seven structures connected by catwalks.

The forts were accessible by an entrance at the base of the platform. Although parts of these ladders are still visible today, they are in poor condition and attempting to access them could prove hazardous.

In 1955, it was decided that the forts were no longer necessary and they were decommissioned. The abandoned forts were used as pirate radio stations during the 60’s and 70’s, when unlicensed illegal broadcasting was rampant.

Getting There: The sea forts are only reachable by boat. Ask around in Shoeburyness for a sailor.

Pirate radio and abandoned buildings? Puts me in the mood for an urban legend. In fact, check out The legend of Midnight Tales with Cassandra from the good people of Flash Pulp at Flashpulp.com.

The legend of Midnight Tales with Cassandra still abounds on the American East Coast…

15 Responses to “Picture Postcard: Abandoned Sea Forts”

1. Thomas Stazyk June 27, 2011 at 12:32 am #

Really cool! They should use those forts for British soccer fans or something. I hadn’t heard of the Cassandra Tales but that is very interesting!

• bmj2k June 27, 2011 at 12:38 am #

I had never heard of the Cassandra Tales either until Skinner brought them to my attention.

2. Daniel June 27, 2011 at 3:05 am #

Those forts look like places that Jason & Grant from ” Ghost Hunters ” or the folks from ” Ghost Hunters, International ” might visit ( Yeah, I watch both programs, while maintaining a healthy skepticism ).I’ll have to give the Tales of Cassandra a look, too.

• bmj2k June 27, 2011 at 7:22 am #

If you check out the Tales of Cassandra tell them I sent you.

I stopped watching Ghost Hunters becuase I think Jason and Grant are two good guys who believe in what they are doing but I don’t think they really know what they are doing.

• Daniel June 27, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Roger & Wilco !!

Like I said, I’m a skeptic about that stuff. I moved 3 years ago to a town that’s supposed to have ghosts, specters, etc., from the Civil War out the wazoo, & I haven’t seen ( or smelled ! ) so much as a fart from a ghost ;). I dunno, man, I just don’t know about ghosts or the veracity of ” Ghost Hunters “.

• bmj2k June 27, 2011 at 10:55 am #

If you do smell a ghost fart I’m not sure I’d want to know!

No, I guess I would.

• Daniel June 27, 2011 at 11:30 pm #

Ghosts are a real GAS, man !!

3. JRD Skinner June 27, 2011 at 9:49 am #

Wow, amazing image.

If some walk-ways were installed between the forts (and if they weren’t crumbling into the ocean) they would make an excellent post-apocalyptic town.

• bmj2k June 27, 2011 at 10:54 am #

I am surprised they haven’t popped up in a movie or TV show. I don’t recall any of the old ITV shows like The Avengers using that location.

• Daniel June 27, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

Somebody would have to assess the structural integrity of the forts, though.
      Somebod could buy them all & declare independence & start a new country. I remember some guy & his pals doing that with an old oil platform off the Carolina coast, I think. It was called Atland, & was a sovereign nation for a couple of weeks. 😉

4. Jim June 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

I’m surprised they haven’t been scrapped, or converted into a luxury high rise/lake top condo community.

As for Ghost Hunters, I think they know exactly what they’re doing – laughing all the way to the bank, picking up the ghost hunting dog, and then laughing all the way back from the bank.

• bmj2k June 28, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

At the very least those need to be preserved as a historic site.

• Daniel June 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

And a ferry – man / tour boat owner could make a nice little sum of money transporting tourists out there to the forts. They may not get RICH, but still, you know….. They could make a nice piece o’ change ! 😀

Always look on the mercenary side of life….. 😉

• bmj2k June 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

Somebody’s missing the, er, boat.

• Daniel June 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

I have to find a get rich quick scheme & make a bundle before I get too old to enjoy it. This looked promising….. I can’t buy lottery tickets for the next 5 or 6 decades. 😉